Parking on Sycamore High School property is a privilege offered to eligible students. It is the student’s responsibility to know, understand and obey all parking regulations.
Illinois law states:
- Drivers 18 and younger are prohibited from using wireless phones (with or without hands-free devices) while driving.
- All drivers are prohibited from text messaging and related activities such as emailing and Internet use.
- Motorists are prohibited from use of cellular phones in school zones.
Sycamore High School parking regulations are as follows:
- By entering school property or designated school parking areas, the person driving any vehicle is deemed to consent to complete search of the vehicle by school officials or police.
- All eligible students wishing to park in designated school parking areas during the school day must purchase and correctly display a parking tag.
- Parking tags are not required during weekends, evenings, or school holidays.
- Obey all sign regulations and courteously follow parking and driving directions provided by school personnel.
- Do not sit in or on parked cars; do not loiter in parking areas.
- The speed limit on school grounds is 15 miles per hour. Careless, reckless or hazardous driving will not be tolerated.
- Students are advised to keep their vehicles locked at all times.
- The school is not responsible for lost, stolen, and/or damaged property.
- Once school buses begin to depart from bus turnaround, no cars are allowed to cut in between buses or to pass buses on school grounds.
- Only authorized vehicles or persons may use handicapped stalls.
- A designated area is assigned for motorcycles and scooters. The purchase of a permit is required but display of the permit is not required.
- Parking is permitted only in authorized parking stalls between white lines. Parking is specifically prohibited in the following areas: staff spots, visitor spots, reserved spots, the Salem Lutheran Church parking lot, and areas that are not designated as parking spots.
- Park head-in only; backing into parking stalls is not permitted.
- Do not park in yellow areas or fire zones.
- Cost of permit is prorated by quarter.
The school administration reserves the right to tow, at owner’s expense, any car that is in violation of parking regulations, including the lack of (or non-display of) parking tags.
Students parking on campus without a parking tag may receive disciplinary action ranging from one full day in the Alternative Education Program to loss of parking privileges for the following year.
Parking violations will be processed in the following manner:
- First Violation: Warning letter sent to the parent or guardian at the home address indicating that a violation has occurred and that a second violation will result in a $10 fine. There is no warning given for a vehicle without a parking tag. In this case, a $10 fine will apply for the 1st violation, and a $20 fine will apply for each additional violation.
- Second Violation: A ticket will be issued with a fine of $10. A warning letter will be sent to the parent or guardian at the home address indicating that a third violation will result in a $20 fine.
- Third Violation: A ticket will be issued with a fine of $20. A building administrator or designee will warn the student that a fourth violation will result in the loss of parking privileges for the remainder of the year. A letter will be sent to the parent or guardian at the home address indicating that this is the final warning.
- Fourth Violation: Loss of parking privileges occurs.