Activities and Athletics
- Academic Requirements for Participation in Extracurricular Activities
- Student Participation and Conflicts
- Transportation for School Sponsored Activities
• Extra-Curricular Activities (including attendance at dances, assemblies, athletic events, etc.) are those activities sponsored by the school district which have open membership to interested or qualified students. All or part of the activities take place outside the classroom (credit may or may not be issued), and interaction may or may not include students from other schools or communities.
• Participation includes practicing and competing in athletics or attending regularly scheduled or special meetings or events of any extracurricular activity.
2. Eligibility: To be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities a student shall, unless he/she is entering high school for the first time, have credit on the school records for twenty (20) credit hours of high school work from the previous quarter (the student must pass five (5) classes per quarter). Such work shall have been completed in the quarter for which credit is granted or in a recognized summer school program which has been approved by the Board of Education and for which graduation credit is received. Summer school courses/credit must be completed and grades posted before the first day of student attendance in fall semester. Students who participate in Illinois High School Association-sponsored activities must additionally comply with IHSA rules regarding academic eligibility.
3. Only those courses in which the student is enrolled for credit will be considered for purposes of determining eligibility to participate in extracurricular activities.
4. A student’s eligibility for extracurricular participation is based on the grades from the last grade report.
5. Any student-participant failing to meet these academic requirements shall be suspended from the activity until eligibility has been restored.
6. It shall be the responsibility of the sponsor of each extracurricular activity, with the assistance of the office of the Assistant Principal for Athletics and Activities to determine the eligibility of students who wish to participate, or to continue their participation, in that activity.
7. Eligibility for extracurricular participation of students having an individualized education program, or receiving reasonable accommodations pursuant to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, shall be subject to this policy, unless otherwise determined by the student’s educational team.