Driver Education is taken during a student’s sophomore year. It is offered each quarter with enrollment depending on the student’s date of birth.
Sycamore High School Driver Education offers a Zero Hour option to freshman who would like to obtain a learner’s permit for driving.
The reasons for this are:
- Parents can get their son or daughter a driving permit.
- Parents can legally practice with their son or daughter.
- Parents can have more time to practice with their son or daughter to acquire driving experience in a variety of weather conditions.
- They will not have to wait several months to get their driver’s license after turning sixteen. A student must hold their permit for nine months in the state of Illinois.
Students would then complete the remainder of the course during their sophomore year.
In order to register your child for the 2021-2022 school year zero hour permit class, please follow steps 1 and 2 below:
- Watch this Google Slides Presentation (and mark your calendar with important dates).
- Complete the online early enrollment form.
We will meet on Monday mornings at 6:45-7:30 AM for two weeks. This will be offered four times throughout the school year. Upon completion of the mini-class the student would obtain their driver’s permit.
Cost of $20 for the vision test, permit, and first driver’s license is due when application is submitted by student to teacher after signed by both student and parent in black ink. Cash or check made payable to "SOS" is acceptable.
This mini-class is optional as a parent may wish to wait until their son/daughter is a sophomore.
If a student is currently enrolled in regular zero hour physical education class they are excused to attend the driver education zero hour class.
Driver Education DMV Visit Dates
Due to the long lines at the DMV the driver education department will only be going to drop off permit applications twice a month. The dates are listed below. A student has to have a permit for nine months and one day in Illinois before becoming a licensed driver. Even if a student has to wait two weeks they will still hold the permit eleven months and two weeks.
DMV visit dates for 2021-2022:
- September 14 and 28, 2021
- October 12 and 26, 2021
- November 9 and 30, 2021
- December 7 and 14, 2021
- January 4 and 18, 2022
- February 1 and 15, 2022
- March 1 and 15, 2022
- April 5 and 19, 2022
- May 3, 17, and 31, 2022
- June 14 and 28, 2022
- July 12 and 26, 2022
- August 8 and 23, 2022