Parent, we would like your assistance on a few items we are experiencing at SHS. Please discuss these items with your student.
Lateness to school and classes
Timeliness is a trait we are trying to teach. Students need to be in their 1st hour by 7:50, and they must be at all of their classes prior to the bell ringing to indicate the start of class. Please speak with your students about the importance of being on time. Students with tardies are subject to disciplinary consequences.
Inappropriate language is being heard more and more in the hallways, in the lunchroom, and even in classrooms. Please discuss with your students the importance of knowing when to monitor their language. Students overheard using inappropriate language are typically asked to stop before a consequence is given; students who continue to use that language are subject to disciplinary consequences. Students who direct inappropriate language toward staff members will be subject to disciplinary consequences without any previous offenses or requests to stop.
Tik Tok is a social media site that many students frequent. Unfortunately, users on this site have developed several disrespectful challenges that students record and post for others to view. In September, the challenge was to deface school property. This led to many of our bathrooms needing to be closed to student use due to extensive damage. Upcoming challenges include acts of physical and sexual harassment toward other students or staff members. Please discuss with your students the potentially life-altering consequences that can be associated with some of these challenges. Students who participate in these challenges will be subject to school discipline, and students that physically or sexually harass other individuals may be subject to legal consequences. Charges of harassment or assault can have a negative impact for a lifetime for an individual.
Protocol For Quarantined Students
If your student has been quarantined by a public health agency or the Sycamore school district, please follow the steps below to ensure your student can continue learning throughout the quarantine period:
- Daily, students should check the Canvas pages for each of their classes. Teachers will post relevant information and assignments daily, and this will be the primary manner in which students stay connected with their coursework while at home. Materials that cannot be easily shared via Canvas will be collected and arrangements will be made with students’ families for pickup.
- As needed, students should schedule virtual meetings with their teachers during their teachers’ office hours. This can be done via email or through the Canvas communication features. We recommend that students check in with their teachers at least once each week they are in quarantine.
- Upon their return to school, students should check in with their teachers regarding any work that is still outstanding, potential quizzes or tests that need to be made up, or material that they feel they are not comfortable with.
Student Drop Off and Pickup
Parents, please use the main entrance, E2 (auditorium side) for drop off and pickup of students. Do NOT use the lot in front of the cafeteria, E3 entrance — this is NOT a drop off or pickup zone.
Sycamore High School is offering the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) Career Exploration Exam on Monday, November 8th at 8:00am. This test is optional and free to any interested juniors and seniors. Students must sign up ahead of time through this google form if they want to take the test.
ASVAB Registration Form
This exam can be used to not only determine military career choices but also civilian career options. The results of the ASVAB will be valid for military enlistment for 2 years but taking this exam does not require any student to become involved in any military program. Non-military personnel from the ASVAB Career Exploration Program will meet with students when results are available to help interpret scores. Scores will not be released to the military until a student requests this to happen. For general information about this exam, please visit this page.
Click on the following link for access to practice tests before the exam date.
Thank you for the great turn out at our College Prep Night for juniors, seniors, and parents. We have updated our counseling office section of the website with an overview of the presentations that were given. Check it out if you were not able to attend. Students and parents can contact their school counselor with any questions.
College Prep Webpage
Service Academy Information
Representatives Underwood, is currently accepting applications for high school students who are interested in applying to one of the service academies including the U.S Military Academy (West Point, NY), the U.S. Naval Academy (Annapolis, MD), the U.S. Air Force Academy (Colorado Springs, CO), the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (New London, CT), and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (Kings Point, NY). Applications for nominations from Rep. Underwood are due by Nov. 30 at 5pm. You can find more information and the application below.
View Information and Application
Sycamore High School Parking Lot
As we continue to have warm weather, we have more students who are walking or riding their bikes to school. Please be very cautious and aware when driving through the school parking lots when picking up and dropping off students. Also, be courteous of other drivers so we are not blocking Spartan Trail.
Visiting Colleges and Universities
Here is a list of upcoming colleges who will be visiting Sycamore High School. Any student interested in meeting with one of these schools should sign up through Naviance. See the counseling office with questions. Watch Naviance for updates as more colleges are added regularly.
- Michigan Technology University - Thursday, October 7 - 1:00p
- St. Ambrose - Tuesday, October 12 - 8:40am
- Kishwaukee College - Tuesday, October 12 - 1:50 PM
- Indiana University - Purdue University - Indianapolis - Wednesday, October 13 - 10:00 AM
- Western Illinois University - Wednesday, October 13 - 1:00PM
- UW Oshkosh - Tuesday, October 19 - 10:00 AM
- Aurora University - Tuesday, October 26 - 1:00 PM
- Millikin University - Wednesday, October 27 - 7:50AM
- Knox College - Wednesday, October 27 - 8:39AM
- North Central College - Tuesday, November 9 - 10:00AM
- Kishwaukee College - Wednesday, November 10 - 8:35 AM
Military Lunchroom Visits
Recruiters for the military will visiting SHS during lunch periods throughout the year:
- Navy: Once a month – Next visit, October 13
- Army: Twice a month – Next visit, October 7
- Marines: Weekly – Next visit, October 5
FAFSA - Open for Seniors October 1st
All seniors must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), the Alternate Application, or FAFSA waiver as a graduation requirement. The FAFSA application is NOW OPEN for students attending college in the fall of 2022. The FAFSA application for the 2022-2023 school year can be completed at FAFSA.gov. For more information about the FAFSA and getting help completing it, go to the SHS Counseling Website.
Free after school tutoring will be on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 2:45-3:45pm in the library
Sunday evening tutoring will begin on Sunday, October 3, 2021 from 7:00-9:00pm in the library.
Changing your Student Google Account Password
Passwords provide the first line of defense against unauthorized access to your Chromebook and personal information. The stronger your password, the more protected your Chromebook will be from hackers and malicious software. You should maintain strong passwords for all accounts! To change your Google password you can only change it on a district computer. There are four computers in the P115 Student Lounge for your use to do this.
- Log into a computer. After you have logged in press alt, ctrl, and delete. A list will appear. Click on Change Password.
- You will need to enter your current password (old password). You will then create your (new password). Your new password should be at least 8 characters in length and must contain an Uppercase letter, lowercase letter, numbers and a character key (!,@,#,$,%,&). You will need to (confirm password) the password and then hit enter.
If you should have any troubles, please contact someone in the Technology Department which is in the Purple Hallway Room O6.