Weekly Messenger: November 3, 2021
Parent-Teacher Conferences — IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held on Monday, November 22 and Tuesday, November 23. Due to a scheduling issue with PTC Wizard, our parent-teacher scheduling software, we are unable to separate in-person conferences with virtual conferences.
Conferences will be held IN-PERSON on Monday, November 22 from 1-8 PM and via ZOOM Meetings on Tuesday, November 23 from 8 AM - 3 PM. This link is now live and closes on Friday, November 19 at 11:59 PM.
Please have your student(s) schedule so you know with which teachers you need to schedule conferences.
This video explains how to schedule conferences, but not how to enter multiple children into the account. Parents should add each student in middle school and high school before they start picking times. See the directions below.
- Visit the SHS PTC Wizard and Create Account (or log in if you used this website last year).
- Next Add A Child.
- If you have more than one student in middle school and/or high school, add all of these students to your account before you start scheduling conferences. Go to Account Settings after you’ve entered the first child and then add more if needed. (Once you start the Add a Meeting process it will ask you to choose which child if you have multiple children at SMS/SHS.)
- Email Consent: click to consent to receive an email confirmation from PTC Wizard
- Add A Meeting
- Step 1: Click on the drop down box for 2021 PT Conferences.
- Step 2: You can click on multiple teachers (including English and PE). Don’t forget to choose the day! If you have more than one student at SHS, make sure to click on all of the teachers’ names. Click Continue.
- Step 3: The teachers’ and teams’ schedules should appear. You can then pick what time you would like to meet with each teacher. If the square is filled in, the teacher is not available at that time. Click Continue.
- The message on the screen should read “Thanks for using PTC Wizard. Your schedule has been saved. You will receive an email within 15 minutes.” Close that message.
- Your schedule should appear with Child Name, Teacher Name, Date, Time, and Room.
- Please note all conferences scheduled on Monday, November 22 will be in-person regardless of what your confirmation says and conferences scheduled for Tuesday, November 23 will be virtual regardless of what your confirmation says.
- Enable Zoom (and CONFIRM) meetings for virtual days ONLY. Click here for video instructions
Finals Schedule — UPDATE
There was an error in the email regarding the 1st Semester Finals schedule. All finals will be given Wednesday, December 15 through December 17. Students have been informed by their teachers if a final will be given. All students are required to attend their classes during these days regardless if there is a final or not. Teachers, who are not giving finals, will use these days for normal instruction. During this week the class schedule will be as follows:
- Wednesday, December 15, 2021 (no lunches; breakfast items only)
- 1 period — 7:50-9:05 AM
- 2 period — 9:15-10:30 AM
- 3 period — 10:40-11:55 AM
- Thursday, December 16, 2021 Late Start (no lunches; breakfast items only)
- 4/5, 5/6 period — 8:35-9:50 AM
- 6/7, 7/8 period — 10-11:15 AM
- 0 period — 11:25 AM - 12:40 PM
- Friday, December 17, 2021 (no lunches; breakfast items only)
- 9 period — 7:50-9:05 AM
- 10 period — 9:15-10:30 AM
Students are to remain in the classroom for the entire time scheduled; no students should be allowed to leave the room during the exam time except for emergency situations.
PE and study halls will meet.
First Semester End Date
First semester will not end until we return from break on Friday, January 7th. The intention of this week is to provide staff and students with time for wrapping up projects, late work, enrichment, etc. Students may also receive continued regular instruction if it fits the pace of their schedule.
Protocol For Quarantined Students
If your student has been quarantined by a public health agency or the Sycamore school district, please follow the steps below to ensure your student can continue learning throughout the quarantine period:
- Daily, students should check the Canvas pages for each of their classes. Teachers will post relevant information and assignments daily, and this will be the primary manner in which students stay connected with their coursework while at home. Materials that cannot be easily shared via Canvas will be collected and arrangements will be made with students’ families for pickup.
- As needed, students should schedule virtual meetings with their teachers during their teachers’ office hours. This can be done via email or through the Canvas communication features. We recommend that students check in with their teachers at least once each week they are in quarantine.
- Upon their return to school, students should check in with their teachers regarding any work that is still outstanding, potential quizzes or tests that need to be made up, or material that they feel they are not comfortable with.
Visiting Colleges and Universities
Here is a list of upcoming colleges who will be visiting Sycamore High School. Any student interested in meeting with one of these schools should sign up through Naviance. See the counseling office with questions. Watch Naviance for updates as more colleges are added regularly.
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater — Friday, November 5 at 8:30 AM
- North Central College — Tuesday, November 9 at 10:00 AM
- University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse — Tuesday, November 9 at 1:00 PM
- Kishwaukee College — Wednesday, November 10 at 8:35 AM
The 2021-22 winter sports practice start dates can be viewed online at 8to18.
Free after school tutoring will be on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 2:45-3:45pm as well as Sunday evening from 7:00-9:00 PM in the library.
ASVAB at SHS
Sycamore High School is offering the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) Career Exploration Exam on Monday, November 8th at 8:00am. This test is optional and free to any interested juniors and seniors. Students must sign up ahead of time through this google form if they want to take the test.
This exam can be used to not only determine military career choices but also civilian career options. The results of the ASVAB will be valid for military enlistment for 2 years but taking this exam does not require any student to become involved in any military program. Non-military personnel from the ASVAB Career Exploration Program will meet with students when results are available to help interpret scores. Scores will not be released to the military until a student requests this to happen. For general information about this exam, please visit this page.
Click on the following link for access to practice tests before the exam date.