Mr. Drayton Eggleson
Director of Choirs
Mr. Ken Goodman
Director of Bands
Mr. Ken Tonaki
Director of Orchestras
Mr. Scott Mertens
Director of Jazz Ensemble
Music Department Phone: 815.899.8159
Course Offerings/ Extracurricular Activities
- Symphonic Band
- Symphonic Band is open by audition only to students grades 9-12 with at least three years instrumental music background. Instruction focuses on the further development and refinement of advanced instrumental techniques, musical knowledge, and performance of advanced wind and percussion ensemble literature of the highest quality. Students in this organization will be eligible to perform with the orchestra; they will also be able to participate in special performances and IHSA contest. Students enrolled in this class may also participate in Jazz Band and color guard.
- Concert Band
- Concert Band is open to students grades 9-12 with at least one year instrumental music background. Instruction focuses on the development of instrumental technique, musical knowledge, and the performance of quality wind and percussion ensemble literature. Students in this organization will be able to participate in special performances and IHSA contest. Students enrolled in this class may also participate in Jazz Band and color guard.
- Percussion Methods
- All percussion students in grades 9-12 will enroll in this class, which is dedicated solely to this unique segment of the Sycamore High School music program. Percussion Methods will focus on improving both students’ individual skills and their ensemble performance skills. All student from this class will perform in small group ensembles throughout the year. They will combine with all other band members to form the Marching Spartans and the Basketball Pep Band. Selected students will also perform with the Concert Band, Symphonic Band, and Orchestra.
- Marching Spartans
- The Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Percussion Methods, and Color Guard all combine to form the Marching Spartans. The Spartans perform at all home football games, local parades, and regional contests.
- Color Guard
- The Color Guard consists of students in grades 9-12. Membership is open to all interested students, although it may require an audition. The Color Guard is part of the Marching Spartans, performing at all home football games, local parades, and regional contests. Required rehearsals take place during band camp, in early August, and, once school starts, either one or two evenings per week. Additional rehearsals may be scheduled as necessary. Students may elect to enroll in the Color Guard class, which meets either 3rd or 4th periods during the first nine weeks of school. The Color Guard instructor is Mrs. Linda Kocjan.
- Jazz Ensemble
- The SHS Jazz Ensemble is an extracurricular activity that rehearses one or two times a week in the evenings. Membership is open to all students in the music program. The jazz ensemble performs at high school events, community events, and local and regional contests.
- Chamber Choir
- This is a select mixed choir for the more advanced singer. The choir will focus on advanced singing techniques and will sing both a cappella and accompanied repertoire that is often college level in four to eight voice parts. Entrance into this choir is by audition only.
- Treble Choir
- This is a select all-female choir. These students will sing outstanding literature in three and four parts ranging from the Renaissance era to modern pop tunes. This choir is by audition only.
- Concert Choir
- This choir is for students 9-12 in their first year of high school choir or for second-year choir students still needing to advance their singing skills. This choir will focus on singing basics, vocal technique, music reading skills, and performance etiquette. Except for extenuating circumstances, this class is a pre-requisite to be considered for Chamber or Treble choir.
- Madrigals is an auditioned extracurricular a cappella vocal ensemble that sings traditional, Renaissance, and Baroque literature, as well as contemporary holiday selections. Membership is open to all students in the music program. The Madrigal Ensemble gives several annual dinner performances in early December. The dinners sell out quickly, so reserve your tickets as soon as they are available! The Madrigals also perform at many community events and holiday functions during the weeks leading up to the Christmas holiday.
- Jazz Choir
- Jazz Choir is a select vocal ensemble that sings a variety of jazz styles in 4 to 8-part harmony. It is an extracurricular activity that rehearses one time a week in the Spring. Membership is open to all students in the music program. The jazz choir performs at high school events, community events, and local and regional contests.
- Chamber Orchestra
- Chamber Orchestra members are selected by audition. Students must possess strong foundation skills and experience in advanced technique. In addition to maintaining fundamental skills, advanced technique is reinforced. Chamber Orchestra performs at several concerts throughout the year. Students may participate in IMEA and IHSA events. Solo and Chamber ensemble participation is also required. The Chamber Orchestra may combine with the Concert Orchestra to perform advanced symphonic literature.
- Concert Orchestra
- Concert Orchestra is open to all students regardless of experience. The Concert Orchestra performs at several concerts during the year. Students may participate in IMEA and IHSA events. Solo and Chamber ensemble participation is also required. Students work on developing basic technical and musical skills. Advanced technique is introduced. The Concert Orchestra may combine with the Chamber Orchestra to perform advanced symphonic literature.
- Music Theory
Music Theory is open to sophomore through senior students with any amount of musical experience. The one year class introduces key signatures, scales, and chord structure. There will be additional work in part writing and sight singing skills. An overview of music history and conducting skills may be included in the course curriculum. It is strongly recommended that any student considering music as a major should enroll in this class to get a “head start” on collegiate level music courses.
- Cast and Crew
- The High School Musical is open to all students at SHS. Membership in a music course is not required. Auditions for the cast include singing, acting, and possibly dance. Skills learned may include singing, acting, dancing, character development, and technical skills. Crew participation is also open to all students through a signup process.
- Pit Orchestra
- The Pit Orchestra performs for the high school musical. This is a select ensemble, directed by one of the SHS music faculty.