The Sycamore School District provides an interscholastic athletic program at both the high school and middle school levels for the purpose of developing player skills and sportsmanship, improving school spirit and the qualities of fair play, and providing opportunities for school-community relationships and pride to grow. This program provides boys and girls an opportunity at various levels to develop to their potential and display skills in a team or individual setting commensurate to their abilities. At the varsity level, coaches will be encouraged to play their best players to facilitate the chance of victory. The athletic program is part of the educational process that is based on policies set forth by the Board of Education, the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) and school conference affiliation.
- Cross Country
- Gymnastics Co-Op*
- Swim Co-Op*
- Competitive Dance
- Track & Field
- Cross Country
- Swim Co-Op*
- Track & Field
* Co-Op is in conjunction with DeKalb High School
Athletic Participation Requirements
- All student-athletes must have passed a minimum of five (5) classes the previous semester. They must continue to pass five (5) classes weekly during the season.
- All student-athletes must have a current PHYSICAL from a doctor licensed to practice medicine in all in capabilities. This document must be signed by the physician, parent and student. Freshmen physicals may be used for athletics.
- All student-athletes must complete the ATHLETIC and EXTRA-CURRICULAR AGREEMENT. This needs to be signed by the parent and the student-athlete.
- All student-athletes and parents are required by Illinois State Law to read and sign the CONCUSSION MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SHEET. This sheet goes over the signs of a concussion, the care of a concussion and the effects of a concussion.
- The IHSA requires all member schools to have a DRUG TESTING CONSENT FORM on file for all student-athletes. If the IHSA performs a random drug test and this form is not on file, the student-athlete is ineligible for the remainder of that season. The parent and student must sign this document.
- Athletic Fees are set by the Board of Education. These fees are required for a student to perform or participate in competition. Any sport with multiple seasons will pay multiple athletic fees. Athletic Fees for Co-Op teams will be set by the host team’s Board of Education.
Prior to the season, each head coach will disseminate written team rules and expectations to athletes. The requirements for achieving an award at each level of his/her sport will be shared within this document.
Locker Room Supervision and Security
No one is permitted in the locker room/squad room unless under direct supervision of a coach or staff member.
Student-athletes are able to purchase a lock separate from that on their P.E. locker. Lockers should be kept locked whenever they are not under the athlete’s direct supervision. It is also recommended that student athletes have an additional lock for away games. Please lock all valuables in lockers.
- One of the values of athletics is to teach responsibility. This should apply to the care of athletic equipment as well as school property. Every student-athlete is expected to take pride in the quality equipment and facilities that the Sycamore School District has provided.
- The school attempts to provide the best and safest equipment money can buy. Each student-athlete is expected to take excellent care of this equipment and school-issued uniforms.
- The original equipment used must be returned by the student-athlete at the close of the season. If the equipment needs repairs or if it is not the correct size, the coach will make appropriate changes.
- When the student-athlete is issued school equipment, he or she must accept full responsibility for it. If any equipment is lost, the student-athlete must pay the Athletic Office the full replacement cost.
- Any time it is established that a student-athlete has taken or has had in his/her possession school equipment which should have been returned to the Athletic Department, it will be considered misconduct, and penalties listed in the interscholastic Athletic Discipline Policy will be enforced.
All coaches and student-athletes are to be present at the seasonal awards nights which honor the sport in which they participate.